I put this together to help my grandchildren with their homework on the history of California missions. Maybe your children or grandchildren will find it and use it too.
San Diego Mission de Alcala
Long before the Sacred Expedition of 1769 arrived to found a new province, San Diego Mission had been predetermined to be the mother of California missions. The harbor and its relative proximity to Mexico made the area a good base of operations.
- Official Websie of Mission Baslica San Diego de Alacala California’s First Church
- California Mission History Mission de Alcala
- Wikipedia Article, Mission San Diego de Alcala
- The California Missions On-Line Project
- Virtual Tour of the California Missions
- Google Map of Mission
- California Missions Foundation
- Images of Mission De Alcala
- Missino San Diego de Alcala Archives
- Flickr images of Mission Basilica San Diego de Alcala
- San Diego Historical Society Mission San Diego de Alcala
The old mission dam, much of which is still standing at the upper end of the Mission Gorge, was part of the first irrigation and engineering project in California. It was constructed during the first decade of the Nineteenth Century by the priests and Ind
ians of the San Diego Mission.