After some poking around I found the solution to my ldap problem. I started reading the log files, turned on debugging in the init.d file and determined ldap was not starting. I started reviewing and checking the
slapd.conf file and noticed that I was missing the
samba.schema file, previously named
So I started looking for it on my system. Not to be found. Not where it belonged in
/etc/ldap/schema not in
/usr/share/docs/samba. I used
find to search my system, looking for the schema file. In Debian, even if you install packages that support the ldap authentication method for samba, you don’t get the
samba.schema file necessary to make it work. You have to install samba-doc and then move or copy the
samba.schema file to the right place to make it work.
I installed the samba-doc package and the schema file in
/usr/share/doc/samba-doc/examples/LDAP I have to question what the Debian developers were thinking when they put the schema file in the samba-doc package. I didn’t install most of the optional doc packages, because my space is a little tight and I am trying to conserve it the best I can.
Once I found the
samba.schema file and put it in the right place, I used
ldapadd to install my ldif file and restarted slapd. After that, everything worked fine and samba is up and running as it was before I did the upgrade to Lenny.